Monday, November 20, 2006

gift wrapped kitty kats


So, reality-TV created lovelies Girls Aloud release their "best of" package four years into their career.

I can't say I have ever been a huge Girls Aloud fan. I never particularly cared for "The Sound Of The Underground" (dare I admit that in that particular week I bought the One True Voice record not the Girls Aloud one?) and I have never bought or downloaded anything else they have done.

Then, a couple of weeks ago I was in the car and I heard their new single, "Something Kinda Oooh"on the radio.

Oh. My. God.

It is a brilliant nonsense upbeat pop record. I went into my local store, noticed this CD also had "Love Machine" (which I remembered I quite liked) and "The Show" and so I bought it.

I don't know why I have been so ambivalent until now. It is a 15 track strong popfest of the highest order. Being as I am partial to some throwaway pop, I can't really reconcile why I didn't buy any of their stuff before. The album contains great singles "Biology" and "No Good Advice" as well as their excellent covers of "I'll Stand By You", "Jump" and "See The Day". With their Christmas 2006 single "I Think We're Alone Now" (yes, that one) tying the whole thing up, it's a great spritely pop collection.

It strikes me that Girls Aloud have also made that small but significant jump from "rubbish pop band" to "something it is acceptable to have in your collection even if you dont like that sort of thing and much prefer other types of music". Which, for a bunch of TV reality wannabes, represents something of a triumph. There aren't many other acts who were spawned in that way who you could say the same about. Will Young, maybe. Lemar?

Top frothy pop. "...something kinda oooh, bumping in the back room...." Indeed.

3 Discussions:

Blogger bedshaped said...

Girls Aloud are one of those bands that people like to deny of existence, but can't help tapping their feet or humming along to, even if they have such ridiculous lyrics....
"Something kind ooh, jumping on my tutu."
I mean, come on!

Lord B, I hope you're hanging your head in shame supporting One True Voice. I think I got served in my local KFC by one of those guys a few weeks back!

A release of hits so early on in their career? Is this a signal for an announcement in the new year?

Whilst they won't be receiving any Rock and Roll Hall Of Fame awards in the near future, they've churned out some catchy tunes and how can anybody turn their nose up at that. What they've achieved in their short career is pretty astounding when you think about it. And all from a pop music talent show.
I shall stand up and be counted by saying "Biology" is a stonker of a pop song. But I wont mention that I always thought the ginger one was the nicest looking.
Let's just leave that one, ok!

8:55 PM  
Blogger adem said...

I do like Girls Aloud... initially I'll have to admit because they are a fine example of some foxy ladies, and the music was secondary. But now I do believe people see them for their music first, and they have made some good music over the years, releasing some great songs.

In today's market a pop-career is no going to last forever and 4 years is amazing. A greatest hits album is just about boosting Xmas sales and nothing more. Why would they split up? They all seem happy enough and are still releasing songs regularly.

Good work LB.

p.s I like Nadine the best (although the rest are still very good.)

11:40 AM  
Blogger Cat said...

I am appalled that you bought that One True Voice record. In fact, I'm appalled that anyone bought it. But you are old enough to know better.

2:54 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home