Wednesday, December 26, 2007

do i repulse you with my queasy smile?

Top 10 Albums of 2007


6. The Arcade Fire - Neon Bible (ST)

I wouldn't be in the least bit surprised if this features at the top of
many people's lists for the year. In fact, I also wouldn't be that surprised if a lot of the same people wouldn't have pencilled this album at the top of their list before they'd even heard it. Arcade Fire are one of those bands that seem to inspire devotion, awe and superlatives.

I tried resisting them at first, but in the end I was powerless before their music and gave way to "Neighbourhood#2" and the rest soon followed. I was given this album for my birthday in March and my immediate reaction was to wonder what all the fuss and fanfare was about. Was it really that good a record, or was it all just a bit overwrought? In the final analysis though, I decided that although the album couldn't possibly be as good as all of the hype being thrown at it by fawning journalists, they were in fact pretty good and that songs like "Black Mirror", "Keep The Car Running", "No Cars Go" and the like were aces.

Pretty good live too, even if someone kept chucking bottles at the band. I think that's a sign of
affection in the East Midlands, but apparently less so in Canada....

Favourite Song: No Cars Go


6. Mika - Life In Cartoon Motion (LB)

This is the first album I bought in 2007 and, ultimately, the one that has spent longer in my CD player than any other.

It can be irritating, and Mika's Scissor Sisters-esque falsetto warblings certainly divide opinion, but it's clear that there is some decent quality pop fare on this album, if that's your bag.

Opening with the ubiquitous "Grace Kelly", which reached #1 in the UK on downloads alone before eventually spending five weeks at the top, it's a high energy collection of modern disco with tinges of everything from Elton John to Freddie Mercury. Packed with top 10 singles (four in all), it's the musical equivalent of being pelted with marshmallows but, for all its odd annoyance, it remains 2007's best pop album.

Favourite song: Big Girls (You Are Beautiful)

0 Discussions:

Post a Comment

<< Home