Monday, December 13, 2010

i don't want to end up living in a dive on vine

The Top 10 Albums of 2010

Before we get to our respective Top Ten albums of the year, a few words about those records that didn't quite make the final lists....

Eels - End Of Time

Such a wonderful collection of songs, as usual from Mr E. His storytelling ranges from the most bizarre to the most heartfelt. From compelling, to absolutely heartbreaking. A great album to lose many an hour any day of the week. (bedshaped)

Cherry Ghost - Beneath The Burning Shoreline

Whilst this is a pretty decent album, I can't help but be disappointed by it. After the brilliance of debut Thirst For Romance, I was expecting an awful lot from Cherry Ghost's second album. However, it's less melodic and less accessible than their debut and is nowhere as easy to like. There are highlights - Kissing Strangers is one of my singles of the year - but this was a real opportunity missed. (NP)

Goldfrapp - Head First

Alison and Co' do it again. Once more, showing great versatility, style and scope with more than the usual nod to disco beats, dancefloor thumps and keyboard wizardry. I don't think people were expecting an album like this from them, especially after their last release and perhaps that's why it seems to have slipped by most people's speakers without notice. Such a shame. (bedshaped)

Example - Won't Go Quietly

Perhaps the biggest surprise of the year, this album if firmly at the 'pop' end of British rap music. Containing the brilliant pop singles Watch The Sun Come Up, Won't Go Quietly and Kickstarts this is an album that is a combination of a lot of ingredients I really shouldn't like. Still, it's surprisingly catchy and infectious. (NP)

King Of Leon - Come Around Sundown

It's good, but not great. Although that could be because I haven't given this album anywhere near as many plays as their previous albums. I will say each track has something great to offer and it's certainly Caleb's most impressive vocal performance. No doubt I will be kicking myself for not having this inside my top ten after a few more spins, but hey, those are the breaks. (bedshaped)

The Hoosiers - The Illusion Of Safety

Eschewing their chirpy oddpop in favour of chirpy electro-pop, the trio returned in 2010 with an album that's every bit as catchy and/or annoying as their debut The Trick To Life. Lead release Choices is a terrific pop single and, although it's not an album that will necessarily convert you to the band if you're not already a fan, it's a super, frothy pop album. (NP)

Duffy - Endlessly

Aah, Duffy. This is the album that should have been your debut. Much better production and a more acceptable level of strings here, coupled with Duffy's lush vocals. Drawing many of its elements once again from old school soul, Motown and the sixties vibe, I bet Amy Winehouse is kicking herself. I have to say though, this album is far, far too short! (bedshaped)

Marina and the Diamonds - The Family Jewels

On the first few listens, I thought Marina was a bit of a one-trick pony. It's quite a squealy, spiky record and I consigned it to my rack pretty early on. However, having listened again over the last few weeks I found I enjoyed it much more than I had initially, and singles like Hollywood, Sham Pain and I Am Not A Robot are actually nicely crafted indie-pop records. (NP)

The Walkmen - Lisbon

There's something quite wonderful about these guys, but I can't put my finger on it. This album is typically under-produced, sounding like it's been recorded in somebody's garage and quite possible in single takes, but that all adds to the great sound. They will never be big, but I don't care. I quite them being one of my favourite little secrets. Gruff vocal style, jangly keys, gruff guitars and some odd drum sounds make me a happy listener time and time again. (bedshaped)

MGMT - Congratulations

Whilst this sounds as far removed from their debut album as you might imagine, I have to say that I really quite liked Congratulations. It doesn't contain songs as immediate as Electric Feel or Time To Pretend, and whilst many fans won't be enamoured with their change of direction, I really found myself liking Congratulations more and more with every listen. (NP)

Ellie Goulding - Lights

If I remember correctly, Ellie was the BBC's (and many others) big tip for top in 2010 and she certainly didn't let anyone down. Her fragile, almost submissive voice sits perfectly with well structured and composed songs. I also really like the production of this album; samples, vocal-play and beat-mixes all providing the perfect ingredients. Yummy! Not what I was expecting from her, but I was really surprised (bedshaped)

Whilst this is an OK record, I can't help but be disappointed. Ellie doesn't really know what type of performer she wants to be - electronic diva or acoustic singer-songwriter and the end result is a mish-mash that doesn't really tick any box. She's also a surprisingly un-engaging live performer, and her cover of Your Song is hideoous. Could do much better. (NP)

Eliza Doolittle - Eliza Doolittle

I can't help it, it's just a great pop album. Nothing particularly special about her voice, but it seems to sit perfectly within the songs. A healthy nod to sugar-pop, old-skool et al and it works really, really well without stepping on anybody else's toes. (bedshaped)

An easy listening-ish album full of whistling and samples from wartime singalong favourites should, in theory, be utterly horrible. However, Doolittle'#s knack of finding a chirpy, earworm like tune is spot on and this album is surprisingly entertaining. I wouldn't say it particularly pushed any musical boundaries, but in its own right it's a gentle enough way to kill an hour or so. (NP)

Magnetic Man - Magnetic Man

Dancey, clubby, thumpy, throbbing, funky shit from the guys who seem to be in demand with all the 'in-crowd' at the moment. Guests a-plenty, this album throws out instrumental slammers and those all important dancefloor bass-booming anthems with little or no effort. A little repetitive at times, but that can forgiven because when they produce a good tune, it's not just good, it's fucking blinding! (bedshaped)

Hurts - Happiness

An album which was compared to something by Climie Fisher or Johnny Hates Jazz by the Guardian may not sound particularly appealing, but Hurts manage to create a sparse, 80s influenced sound which remains pretty modern. It's an album which, had I listened to it more, would almost certainly have made my top Ten. Certainly a band to watch in 2011. (NP)

Arcade Fire - The Suburbs

So, sooooo much better than their last album, but sadly nowhere near as good as their debut. But it's a nice place to be. At least they are moving forwards. Great lyrics on this album and once again the vast array of musical instruments add excitement to each listen. Absolutely loving the orchestration and general song arrangements. A damned fine band that look to be back on track. (bedshaped)

An album that gets better with every listen, The Suburbs manages to be the record that MGMT tried to make with Congratulations. Powerful but not in the slightly overblown way that stopped Neon Bible being brilliant, this is a really high quality album from a band that really know what they are doing. (NP)

Laura Marling - I Speak Because I Can

She reminds me of so many other people and yet still manages to sound fresh and original. A fabulously talented young girl, writing wonderful stories and weaving tales of wonder and woe without batting an eyelid. A totally listenable album and definitely recommended to anybody looking for something a little different in singer-songwriters nowadays. (bedshaped)

Other albums of note: Belle & Sebastian - Write About Love (Swisslet), Hot Chip - One Life Stand (Swisslet), Diana Vickers - Songs From The Tainted Cherry Tree (NP), Paul Heaton - Acid Country (NP), Isobel Campbell & Mark Lanegan - Hawk (Swisslet), Lights - The Listening (NP), The Courteeners - Falcon (Swisslet), Jonsi - Go (NP), We Are Scientists - Barbara (Swisslet)

6 Discussions:

Blogger bedshaped said...

This should be a great top 10 albums of the year. I say that because nothing on either of your lists of 'near-misses' has made my top 10. I'm almost excited!

What I will say is....

We Are Scientists....I felt very let down.
Diana Vickers....oh dear. Delores from The Cranberries is enough for me, thanks.
Belle & Sebastian....Yup, I really liked that album. Evidently not enough though.
Cherry Ghost....dammit! Am I missing something here?
Example....Liked the singles. Was very close to watching him/them at V Festival and regretted it because everyone I spoke to who had seen him/them said it was an excellent show. Must listen to the album now.
The Hoosiers....Ick. I can't help it! Their happy, tickety-boo sugary pop nonesense grinds on me something rotten.
Marina & The Diamonds....I'd agree with what you said. It gets much better on further listens. I struggled with it at first.
MGMT....I just couldn't get into it. Much, much prefer their more commercially sounding previous album.
Hurts....I like this album. Not anything special, but pleasant on the ear.
And the others listed....well, I can't comment because I haven't listened to them. Bad me!

8:52 PM  
Blogger swisslet said...

I forgot to mention the two fantastic James mini-albums that came out this year too..... ah well.

My top 10 is a bit of a funny one this year (I warn you in advance). I was out of the country for nearly 3/4 of the year, and for quite long periods, I've been away from any idea of what albums have been released. Consequently, I have had a bit of a rush of listening in the tail end of the year, and I am pretty certain I've included something terrible and missed something brilliant. What can you do?

We'll see. NP has listened to more music than ever before this year, I should think, so I'm looking forward to seeing his list especially.

Always fun.

ST

6:41 PM  
Blogger swisslet said...

incidentally, biggest disappointment for me is the Sufjan Stevens album: one listen and I couldn't stand to listen to it again. I will give it another go, but that's not a great start (I've just seen it voted number 1 album of the year by a friend -- mandy -- too. She tells me I've got to give it a chance!)

6:44 PM  
Anonymous NP said...

Bedshaped, you are definitely missing something with Cherry Ghost. Even though it didn't make my top Ten list (there were 45 albums on the shortlist) it's still a terrific record. Their first album, Thirst for Romance is a genuine classic and something you really would enjoy, I think.

11:37 AM  
Blogger David Belbin said...

Glad to see someone else mention Goldfrapp, which is great. As is the Eels album. E suffers from being too prolific. But 'End Times' was last year, wasn't it? I think he only put out 'Tomorrow Morning' this year. Easy to lose track, so maybe it was January.

11:57 AM  
Blogger swisslet said...

nah - both eels albums were this year.... not that I've caught up with either yet. Love E, but damn he's hard to keep up with.

12:30 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home