Thursday, June 16, 2011

Album Review: The Streets - Computers and Blues

The Streets - Computers and Blues

Mike Skinner returns with his fifth and final album as The Streets ending a decade where he has been one of the most significant influences on British pop music. Whether you like the Brummie's band of rap or not - I have never been a huge fan - there is clearly evidence of his influence in everything from British hip hop to mainstream pop music of the likes of Plan B or Lily Allen.

Computers and Blues is more of the same tuneful commentary on modern life with children, Facebook and Call of Duty amongst the subject matter this time around. Whilst I can't say I'm a huge fan of Skinner's vocals, what I do like about the Streets is that much of their output is quite unashamedly simple pop music. There are some big choruses here and plenty of chirpy melodies which mean it's an entertaining and upbeat album - even if some of the subject matter isn't quite so uplifting.

Skinner's clearly come a log way since the frankly dreadful Original Pirate Material and ending The Streets now seems a pretty sound decision. Considering the last two or three records have been lots of the same, it maybe is time for a change and the 32 year old leaves behind five albums which have had a wide impact on the landscape of British pop. I don't necessarily get it all the time (although I enjoyed Computers and Blues more than I thought I would) but I do understand the importance of Skinner's contribution to the pop canon.

1 Discussions:

Blogger swisslet said...

I think his albums have been patchy: A Grand Don't Come For Free is a cast iron classic... but some of the others have been weak. Original Pirate Material is great, if you ask me, and one of the things I liked about this album is the echoes - on the last ever Streets album - of the first, in little samples and things like that.
Mike Skinner's great gift is that he's never pretended to be an american rapper and has followed his own path and sung about the things that happen his life.
I'm sure we haven't heard the last of Mike Skinner, even if we had heard the last of the Streets.
Decent album, this, but a Grand Don't Come For Free is definitely what he'll be remembered for (and I love the Chris Martin version of "Dry Your Eyes" too....)

7:32 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home