Wednesday, December 28, 2011

the fast goes fast and the slow goes slow

The Top 10 Albums of 2011

5. The Young Knives - Ornaments From The Silver Arcade (Swisslet)

Ashby-de-la-Zouch probably doesn’t produce all that many rockstars, and it somehow seems fitting that the ones that they do produce like to perform onstage wearing tweed suits. Formed as long ago as 2002, the band found ‘instant’ success with their Mercury nominated debut album, 2006’s Voices of Animals and Men. Although that album is packed with great tracks, for me, the Young Knives have only got better with each successive album they’ve released: 2008s Superabundance and now this year’s Ornaments from the Silver Arcade.

Their distinctive, pastoral-edged, rock has got more and more sophisticated and, a bit weirdly, given how they look, their music has now got an almost sexy swagger about it –if you don’t believe me, then just check out Woman or Silver Tongue on this record. See what I mean? The sad truth is that the band have also become less commercially successful with each release, and this album only scraped its way to number 80 in the UK chart.

It’s such a shame that a record like this isn’t heard by more people, although the first I heard about the new album was when I heard Human Again played on BBC 6 Music; it sounded so distinctive and was so obviously by the Young Knives that I looked it up the moment I got home and found out that the album had actually already been out for some time…. And I’m a fan who has seen them live several times. If I nearly missed it, what chance has someone of discovering the band now? Such a shame, because they’re a great band and real originals too. Cherish them whilst they’re still bothering to scream into the void.

Listen to - Human Again

5. Coldplay - Mylo Xyloto (LB)

If there was ever evidence for this year being a pretty poor one for albums, it's the fact that a distinctly average Coldplay record is still much better than all but four other records in 2011.

I'm a huge fan of Coldplay but am still not entirely convinced by Mylo Xyloto. However, unlike lots of other Coldplay records which I have liked immediately (I remember loving Speed of Sound from the very time I heard it) I am finding myself liking Mylo Xyloto more with every subsequent listen. Single Paradise has grown on my immensely while Every Teardrop Is A Waterfall is one of my top ten sngles of the eyar.

Coldplay remain lyrically suspect and there are one or two tracks which disappear in one ear and out of the other. However, despite what I thought on first listen, the band's collaboration with Rihanna - Princess of China - actually works and the likes of Charlie Brown, Hurts Like Heaven and Up In Flames are solid and likeable Coldplay songs.

I don't think it is their best album by any means but in a year where I have listened to more new music than ever before, the fact this album still makes my top five is rather a sad indictment of the state of the music business.

Listen to: Princess of China / Every Teardrop Is A Waterfall

5. The Naked and Famous - Passive Me, Aggressive You (bedshaped)

I think this is their debut, but I could be wrong. What I do know though, is that this album grabbed me on the very first listen.

This is like....erm....indie songs, but with electronic and pop elements in it. There’s elements of Arcade Fire here, along with Subways, Friendly Fires, Yeah, Yeah, Yeahs and even Radiohead. Loose indie songs; some of which are driven by a guy singing, some driven by the girl, coupled with some great guitar work, some looping, and oh yes, they weren’t shy in the feedback and reverb areas and some infectious keyboard strokes. The percussion is pretty good too. Imagine The XX on RedBull. No?

This album would have a perfect second album for Sleigh Bells or even The Ting Tings; should they wish to drop their sugar-pop trend and go all out adventurous. There’s songs on here that have a certain pop element to them, then in from nowhere comes a twisting loop, or some vocal sampling, or some sampled feedback, and it sends the song in a completely new direction. Most of these songs aren’t just songs, they’re like mini-plays. They have layers. They have acts. They even have slight intervals.

Songs will begin with programmed percussion, bombastic basslines and keyboard rinky-tinks, then switch direction with some clever vocal play or some monsterous guitar riff. Other songs are driven by keyboards and dual vocals, then burst into life with bass and guitar whooshing in to add depth, then switch to something else. Others begin with pulsating beats and low-fi keyboard strokes before crashing into a frenzied dance beat, with all sorts of crazy samples and loops. And it all makes sense.

I don’t know where this album came from. I picked up a review online and convinced myself it was worth a listen. The more I listen to it, the more it digs itself into me. The more it means something. Different, diverse, interesting. Definitely worth a listen. Albums like this give me great hope in the future of music. With the charts dominated with auto-tune R & B, there’s a distinct lack of new bands and artists coming through who show much promise in the talented department. This is a lovely breath of fresh air.

Listen to – Frayed

3 Discussions:

Blogger bedshaped said...

I completely missed the Young Knives album! I shall be rectifying this immediately. Really loved their Superabundance album. And yes, very underrated band.

Coldplay....Meh. I really struggle with Coldplay nowadays. It's been a 180 for me with this band. I was into them before they released Parachutes, watched them play live many, many times, loved Rush Of Blood To The Head....then, for me, everything changed. I couldn't get into X & Y and have struggled with each subsequent album. I listen to them, and deep down I want to fall in love with them again, but oooohhhh, most their songs now are just so....mediocre. The albums tend to have a handful of radio friendly singles and are then filled out with mush. I can't help it, I'm sorry. It's Chris's fault. He just can't write them like he used to.

8:21 PM  
Blogger swisslet said...

I'm usually the first to defend Coldplay, but the plain truth is that they aren't even near my top 10 this year. It's average, isn't it? Apparently they're an unusual band in that each album they have released has sold more than the last. Can't see that happening here. Rush of blood to the head is the peak for me, although I also have a soft spot for X&Y, although its where the clichés started.

Young Knives? Do it! You wont be sorry.

ST

9:11 AM  
Blogger LB said...

I don't think it's a great Coldplay record either. It's just that the rest of the stuff that was released this year was even worse.

10:24 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home