Sunday, November 26, 2006

This is a Song

Generally I make a point of buying music from my local independent record shop. I never download. And while I am happy to buy books from Amazon, I rarely get CDs there. But I am ashamed to say I was seduced by the bargain basement prices in my local supermarket yesterday. I bought The Magic Numbers' new album "Those the Brokes" in Sainsburys. And on National Buy Nothing Day too.

I don't like it. In fact, I've listened to it twice and both times it gave me a headache. Unfortunately, I can't quite put my finger on why I don't like it. Maybe it just feels wrong when the central heating's cranked up and it's howling a gale outside. Or perhaps I'd been brainwashed by the bad reviews I'd read in the press. Maybe it's just lacking in charm and a bit rubbish. Like it I do not.

This places me in something of a dilemma as I have tickets to see this little lot next week. And let's face it, they are not exactly easy on the eye to distract from their "difficult second album".

Ebay? The office intranet? Or go along and face the music?

This is a Song - The Magic Numbers

4 Discussions:

Blogger beth said...

Tough one.

I don't really like them, but they *were* entertaining when they were supporting...erm..whoever it was...if that's any help.

10:13 AM  
Blogger bedshaped said...

cat,
I take it this album is gonna be filed right next to your new Jet album then?!
Go watch them, seriously.

I was gonna do a review of the album but you've kinda beat me to it. I like the fact that you don't like it. Know why? 'Cos I do. This means a difference of opinion, preferences and tastes and that should hopefully breed discussion.

I find the new album a continuation of their debut. Their debut, in my opinion, was filling a gap with something 'different' and I guess they've gone for the "If it ain't broke, don't fix it" rule of thumb.

It's an easy on the ear album and there's nothing to turn your nose up at here. If you liked the first album, then I'm pretty sure you will like this follow up, unless of course you get bored easily.
Sure, there's nothing ground breaking here. I think they dented that wall with their debut. But with each listen, the melodies grow and it becomes a perfect acompliment to a relaxing evening.

Ok, so you're not quite taken by the album, but they've gotta be worth a chance playing live, huh?

beth,
If I remember correctly, I first saw them supporting Elbow. They only played a short set and back then I didn't know any of their songs, but that was enough to leave some audible scars on me and lead me to dig a little further. The debut album was a long time coming, but in my opinion well worth it.
I saw them again headlining their own tour and they seemed to have grown as a live band tremendously.
I saw them again at V Festival and they delivered a confident afternoon slot which the crowd appeared to thoroughly enjoy.

An ear catching debut.
A "more of the same formula" follow up.
What next?
Personally I think they need to branch out a little more. That said, with their style of songwriting and delivery, I'm not quite sure where they're headed.
Could be interesting....
Then again, could be a complete shambles.

Don't ya just love the music industry!

8:32 PM  
Blogger Cat said...

Dilemma solved. My gig buddy is off to Edinburgh to see a band called John, Bjorn and Peter (am I just too uncool to have heard of them?) and totally forgot about the Magic Numbers. So the tickets are on Ebay right now. I hate myself for hoping I profit from them.

Yes, filed right by JET, do not pass go and do not pass £200. Bedshaped, I'm sorry I pipped you to the post with what was going to be a positive review. Since I say absolutely nothing of consequence and certainly nothing tangible, perhaps a proper review is in order!

10:34 PM  
Blogger Cat said...

Or do not collect £200. Which was what I meant to say.

10:35 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home