Wednesday, June 27, 2007

where'd your sense of adventure go?

If I had written a review of this album just over a week ago when I bought it, I'd be criticising its lack of variety or originality and probably bemoaning a chance wasted.

However, after several listens in the interim, I must admit that I have changed my mind.

It's not the most original album you'll ever hear. Q described it as something that anyone in a bedroom with a selection of Doves, Coldplay and Keane CDs could splice together in no time. It's a reasonable assessment, but of course if they are the types of band that you like it follows that you'll probably get along with the Ghosts also.

After a few listens, I like it. God knows it's pretty generic and they haven't the spark or the genius to hit the big time any time soon, but it's a decent collection of guitar based pop songs. "Stop" sounds so much like it's off of the 80s that you can suspend where in time yo are for a moment. The singles "Stay the Night" and "The World Is Outside" are great radio-friendly pop and "Mind Games" shows there is some depth to their sound.

I first saw them play a half hour free set in a record store in front of 30 or so people, and then again with the Tiny Dancers in Nottingham. I can't see them ever playing the Hollywood Bowl but if you don't mind some brainless simple guitar pop, you could do a lot worse. Just give it a few listens.

0 Discussions:

Post a Comment

<< Home