Thursday, December 27, 2007

a left off last laugh lane

Top 10 Albums of 2007


5. Arctic Monkeys - Favourite Worst Nightmare (ST)

Could they pull the same trick off twice? Of course they could. They're absurdly, obscenely young, and Alex Turner apparently has more talent in his little fingernail than every single member every other British band put together. Or something. More than the Hoosiers, anyway. [that's a bit harsh!! - Ed]

I certainly know who has the most talent in flatshare between Alex Turner off of the Arctic Monkeys and Jon McClure off of Reverend and the Makers. Clue: it's not the taller one.

This was released very quickly after the runaway success of "Whatever People Say I Am, That's What I Am Not" but this apparently didn't affect quality control.... songs like "Brianstorm", "Teddy Picker", "Balaclava", "D is for Dangerous", "Fluorescent Adolescent" and the like all proving themselves more than a match for their illustrious predecessors.

What I love most about this album is that from the opening blast of "Brianstorm", this album is really quite rock: a full on assault of guitars and drums. As a former heavy metal man, I absolutely loved it, and it meant that when I saw them at Glastonbury this year, they proved to
be a surprisingly muscular live act. That said, many of the very best moments on the album come in the quieter songs: "Fluorescent Adolescent" and "505". Turner is one of the very best lyricists in rock already.

He's twenty-one years old.

Bastard.

Favourite Song: 505


5. Ben's Brother - Beta Male Fairytales (LB)

This excellent album by Jamie Hartman and his band was a mild "word of mouth" success in the summer. It's a slow and gentle selection of melodic pop which, on first listen, sounds like one forty-five minute long song. However, the more you listen to this album, the better it becomes.

It's difficult to describe. On occasions Hartman sounds like Rod Stewart, but there's no rock element here. It's the perfect accompaniment to a lazy warm summers evening with a glass of wine, letting songs such as "Let Me Out" and "I Am Who I Am" wash over you.

Billy Joel comparisons are wide of the mark, but the songs have a composition not dissimilar to the great man - piano led songs about relationships, harmonica interludes and really easy on the ear. Great record.

Favourite song: Let Me Out

1 Discussions:

Blogger bedshaped said...

I like the Monkeys enough and there's no doubt Alex Turner is a talented bugger, but I'm put off by the whole "Best band in the world" tag that's attached to them. I don't there was enough difference between the first album and this one and I found that disappointing, but maybe I just expected too much.
I don't think there's any doubt how influential his lyric style and vocal delivery have become though.

I got into Ben's Brother from your recommendation LB and what a lovely album it is too. I agree with your slow burning, lazy summer night's listening description and might I add it's a great 'background' album to play when you're busy doing something else.

3:49 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home