Wednesday, December 22, 2010

all her pretty dreams are torn

The Top 10 Albums Of 2010

10. Bruce Springsteen - The Promise (NP)

After listening again to Darkness On The Edge Of Town - not one of my favourite Springsteen albums - I didn't have terrible high hopes for The Promise. A double album of 'out-takes' from the Darkness sessions, I figured that if these were the tracks not deemed good enough for the original album, then they may not be much cop.

How wrong I was. In fact, I'd go so far as to say that this may yet become my favourite of all Springsteen's albums - and that is high praise indeed.

From the stunning piano led Racing In The Street, The Promise features 21 excellent tracks, of which only one or two really don't cut the mustard. Of course the themes are typical Springsteen - recorded in 1978 during a recession there's plenty of unemployment, lack of money, working mens grumbles in the lyrics. However, this album is almost quintessential Springsteen in so much as it is classic American rock and roll written and performed by one of the boys.

I was astonished at quite how good The Promise is, and if you've any affection for the Boss at all, this is an album that should be in your collection.

Listen to: Racing In The Street

10. Delphic - Acolyte (bedshaped)

If you're looking for something a little 'different', then I would heartily recommend these boys.

I like bands and artists like this who make it tough to say to somebody; "Yeah, they sound like *insert name here*", because when you listen to the album, you can hear influences and similarities to so many other people. But not just that,they also bring something fresh to the table. Yes, just what the doctor ordered.

There's nothing amazing about the lyrics here, but they seem to have a great knack of producing singalong songs, with big choruses that stick in your head like those annoying, cheesy pop songs. Except, I wouldn't categorize them as pop at all. Nope, they're indie. Actually, they're more electronica. Oh, maybe industrial beat-makers. oh, I dunno, but perhaps you get the picture.

The programmed beats and percussion are the driving force behind their songs. Melt in some jangly guitars and tinkly keys, topped off with catchy lyrics with examples of great harmonizing and you have a very pleasing formula that sits well with the listener from beginning to end. A totally listenable album, if a little on the short side.

Sweet, polished production is very apparent, along with a great mix of sampled chopping, mixing and editing. It's a very 'now' sounding album and I bloody like it. I don't have any kind of desire to see them play live though. For some reason, I imagine them as quite boring to watch performing. No offence intended, guys. It's never held back the likes of Pet Shop Boys, New Order or Friendly Fires though, has it?

Having stumbled across the track Doubt, I immediately wanted to explore them more and have never felt disappointed. It's a perfect house party album, the likes of which can play on repeat in the background, never offending anyone and giving off just enough interest and tease to keep the atmosphere light.

Listen to: Acolyte

10. Vampire Weekend - Contra (Swisslet)

2008s Vampire Weekend was a joyous affair, introducing us to the band’s glorious 'Upper West Side Soweto' style of music, with delirious singles like Oxford Comma and A-Punk.

Contra is perhaps a little denser and is maybe a little less immediate. Essentially though, Vampire Weekend are offering us a new album of much the same kind of stuff as last time. There’s some experimentation here, but not too much. And you know what? That’s okay with me.

It might get boring if they haven’t moved a little further by the time they record their next album, but you know what? For now this will do just fine. It sounded pretty good as we drove across the Southern Alps in New Zealand, I can tell you that.

Listen to: I Think Ur Contra

4 Discussions:

Blogger ian said...

The Pet Shop Boys? Boring to watch performing? Please go away and watch "Pandemonium" and reconsider that. I'm afraid I can't give any consideration to the recommendation of Delphic while that allegation stands.

10:32 AM  
Blogger bedshaped said...

Ian,
Please accept my apologies as I have yet to see The Pet Shop Boys play live.
What I meant by the review was....whilst their (Delphic) music is interesting and totally contagious, I can't imagine them 'burning up the dance-floor' in any kind of visual style. I could of course be totally wrong.
I also wasn't saying The Pet Shop Boys were boring to watch live. I was trying to help paint a picture of the slightly 'produced and by-the-numbers' sound. Perfect for studio and releases, maybe not so much playing live.
But once again, apologies for the misunderstanding and if I caused any offence. None intended.

NP,
Bruce Sprinsteen, huh? Yano, I've never really been into The Boss, apart from the usual songs that everybody seems to know. You're review has me curious though, Sir, so I shall give it a whirl. One of the things I love about these lists! Thank you.

Swisslet,
Yup, great album from Vampire Weekend. Totally agree with you that it's less of an 'immediate' album, but thoroughly enjoyable, none-the-less.

10:09 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

...just picked up Springsteen's 'The Promise' box set companion book, amazing original photos and stories frm the Darkness tour. Limited Edition http://www.thelightinDarkness.com

3:29 AM  
Blogger ian said...

Oh, I'm not offended. I just don't think that comparison is valid...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mu_ajofy2aQ

12:31 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home