Thursday, February 24, 2011

Album Review: Bright Eyes - The People's Key

Bright Eyes - The People's Key

I was astonished to find that The People's Key is Bright Eyes' tenth studio album, and I can't say that I have ever heard any of the others. I vaguely remember enjoying the odd song of theirs, but with Conor Oberst already saying that The People's Key will be Bright Eyes' final record, I appear to be catching up a little too late....

This is actually quite a good record. Having not heard their previous albums I can't comment on the fact that this record is more modern and 'rockier' than previous efforts (that's a claim by Oberst) but it certainly does have a contemporary Arcade Fire-esque sound on the likes of Shell Games and Beginner's Mind. The Machine Spiritual also reminded me of some early Prefab Sprout - never a bad thing.

As with a few of this year's new releases, The People's Key is an album that I have quite enjoyed but not one that I would necessarily buy. Saying that, I have enjoyed it more with each listen so perhaps it is time to search out some of Bright Eyes' earlier work.

1 Discussions:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

this review is fucking terrible.

"I was astonished to find that The People's Key is Bright Eyes' tenth studio album, and I can't say that I have ever heard any of the others. I vaguely remember enjoying the odd song of theirs"

are you fucking kidding me? why did you even bother to review this album....

7:25 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home