Friday, December 28, 2007

the future's out to get you

Top 10 Albums of 2007


4. Kings of Leon - Because Of The Times (ST)

Not my favourite KoL album by a long chalk, but they're a band that keep on developing their sound from the original template laid down in their debut album, "Youth and Young Manhood". People apparently call them "The Southern Strokes", but really their influences are more like The Allman Brothers Band, Lynyrd Skynyrd and the like.... good old southern fried rock and roll.

The Kings of Leon are probably a bit more complicated than that, although it's hard to say because Caleb Followhills lyrics are almost indecipherable behind his anguished yowl. No matter, they're a brilliant band. Proper, scuzzy rock and roll. Good live band, too.

Favourite Song: My Party


4. The Hoosiers in The Trick To Life (LB)

One of the years breakthrough bands, both the Hoosiers debut single "Worried About Ray" and their follow-up "Goodbye Mr A" spent weeks inside the top 10 and this album made #1 in the charts.

The singles aren't a brilliant representation of the album, actually - the Trick to Life is much less annoying and poppy and far more melodic and reflective than you'd guess from the opening chirpy riffs of "Worried About Ray" and forthcoming single "Worst Case Scenario". Whilst the pop sensibilities have gained them many fans, I really enjoyed the depth and craft of this album more and more over several listens, save for the annoying Cure-stolen bassline of the daft "Cops and Robbers".

I might also have been swayed by them covering one of my all time pop records - Andrew Gold's "Lonely Boy" when I saw them live, also (see that here).

Great pop band, great live act, great album.

Favourite Song: Goodbye Mr A

1 Discussions:

Blogger bedshaped said...

Love the Kings Of Leon album. Again, this was close to being in my top five for the year. The more I listen to it, the more it becomes my favourite album of theirs. I just wish it was a little shorter.

The Hoosiers....meh.
I'm not taken by any of their singles so far and have no desire to listen to the rest of the album either. Their advert for the album over Christmas used to annoy me too.

3:39 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home