Tuesday, November 28, 2006

Tom McRae and the Artistes of the Hotel Cafe

(Life Café, Manchester, 26th November)

Let’s get it straight, this is not Tom McRae plus support, it’s not even Tom McRae and 'Friends' - I'm not really sure what I'm expecting: a bunch of people I've never heard of performing songs I don't know? How is that going to work?

Tom McRae kicks things off, he's been the draw for me, but he makes it clear that tonight isn't about him. He performs "Hidden Camera Show" and "For the Restless", seeming pretty relaxed, breaking off mid-song to chat with some hardcore shot drinking front row fans, and it's enough to convince me I want to see more. Any concern that he might be a tad wimpy in a live situation thankfully turns out to be unwarranted

Steve Reynolds, despite it being the running joke of the evening, looks virtually nothing like Frodo Baggins. A segment of the audience, who obviously Know Their Stuff are seriously impressed by his musicianship and if I'm not fully engaged that's more down to the desire to inflict serious pain on the irritating buffoon to my right who won't shutthefuck up than to any deficiencies on Mr Reynolds part.

Jim Bianco, up next, doesn't quite do it for me, not helped by the realisation a few minutes into his set that it's not unlike listening to Mitch Benn*. During his second slot the penny drops: it's not unlike listening to Mitch Benn 'doing' Tom Waits**. He's proficient enough, but it’s coming from the head, not the heart. That decision to descend from the stage and have the entire band take to the floor probably seemed like a good idea at the time but, after the initial novelty, seemed to fall a bit flat - guys, you need a better exit strategy.

Joe Purdy on the other hand, introduced by Tom McRae as "one of my favourite song writers" sings story songs with warmth and gusto and I will definitely be seeking him out in the future.

Ditto Carey Brothers: note to self not "The Carey Brothers".
He is wearing a daft flat cap and sporting a bad beard, possibly in an attempt to avoid the ‘just a pretty face‘ trap. Vocally, sweeter than Joe Purdy but with less oomph.His final song is "Blue Eyes," which was included on the Garden State soundtrack, and consequently gets a decent amount of singalonging.

A bunch of people I've never heard of performing songs I don't know? How is that going to work? Pretty damn well actually!


Apparently there are tickets left for Sheffield on December 6th, give it a go if you get the chance.

Or at least go read what Tom says about it.

*annoying, self-satisfied, pillock who performs "amusing" pastiche songs on Radio Four "comedy" shows.
** Highly Esteemed Artiste, about who's oeuvre I know virtually nothing.


2 Discussions:

Blogger bedshaped said...

Great visual image from your post Beth.
Any chance of some recommended listens from either Tom or the others, for those of us not quite 'in the know'?

8:05 PM  
Blogger beth said...

yes!
but where did my comment go???

will come back later and try again.

10:50 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home