Wednesday, April 11, 2007

love is dead


There have been various incarnations of the Suede boys over the years. The original Suede line-up, Bernard Butler solo material, the later Suede albums, McAlmont and Butler and the Tears.

Now, it's frontman Brett Anderson's turn with his eponymously titled debut solo album.

Despite me being a great fan of Suede (there is merit even in their later work) I hesitated in the purchase of this album. Almost without exception, the reviews have been lukewarm at best, even from what you might consider the most sympathetic of sources.

So, I spoke to a friend of mine who I knew was hitherto a fan and as he was more positive about the album, I took a chance.

In simple terms, it is wonderful. Whilst gone are the rebellious lyrics and aggression, in its place are some beautifully crafted string arrangements and melodies. The melancholy of the old Suede remains right from the fantastic opening single "Love Is Dead" through the gentle "One Lazy Morning" to the excellent "Song For My Father".

It's his voice I love more than anything. It is soulful, honest and distinctive and the accompaniment of the gentle Sunday morning sound of acoustic guitar, piano and strings makes for a really good record.

I don't see what the critics dislike. Maybe they bemoan the lack of cutting edge or anger - it's the voice of recognition and world-weariness not the gasoline-fuelled teenage angst of old. For me, I think that suits him perfectly. Brilliant.

1 Discussions:

Blogger bedshaped said...

Perhaps as you say, it's lacking something.
I've had it on repeat for the last few days and even though it's not a struggle to listen to it, it's not exactly digging it's nails in.

Suede were a strange band for me. I could never understand what part of them I liked because nothing really stood out above anything else. I liked his voice, I liked the cryptic lyrics, I liked the big sounds they were creating and I liked the production. And perhaps that's the problem for me because it's not all there anymore.

As an album playing in the background, it's fine, but it's certainly not an album I would scream and shout about to my friends.

Closest track to 'old Suede' - "Dust and Rain"
"The more we possess, the less we own of ourselves" has a great sample in it.
"To the winter" stands out for me, mainly because of the strings.
"Intimacy" is a dreadful song.

9:32 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home