Wednesday, February 14, 2007

Samba in the Snowy Rain

As I'm now going to be a proper, published author with my very own column, I thought I should share my first review with the interweb. So here goes.

Since their Mercury nomination for their debut album Through the Windowpane, there's been a buzz around the Guillemots. And after their Brit nomination, that buzz became louder still. So I was keen to see what all the fuss was about when they played on February 6th.

The weather wasn't very pleasant, and the venue didn't seem to be filled to capacity. The spirits of those who braved the blizzards to get to the gig were high though and the band were welcomed on stage with a rousing cheer. They opened – appropriately - with Samba in the Snowy Rain. The crowd loved it. Singer Fyfe Dangerfield chatted and bantered throughout the hour-long set and added some local colour by asking the audience if he should buy a deep-fried Mars Bar while he was in town. Response unknown.

As with most gigs, the better known songs got the best reception, particularly the popular Annie Let's Not Wait, Made Up Lovesong # 43 and Trains to Brazil. In parts, things seemed to dip and while the band played with abandon there was a definite lull in energy in the audience. While the Guillemots may be famed for their swooning instrumentals, they did drag in parts and at times the momentum seemed to get lost. The gig drew to a close with album closer Sao Paulo. Inexplicably, members of the audience were invited on stage to bash a large model bird with sticks at this point, giving a whole new dimension to percussion. It was somewhat spoiled by members of the audience leaving midway through. Okay, it's a long track, but where are your manners?

Prior to seeing the Guillemots, I'd have been inclined to lump them in with the likes of Belle and Sebastian who sound good on CD but don't work particularly well live. I exited the gig into the snowy night with an entirely different opinion.

The Guillemots are, in general, a little fey for my tastes, but I'd be more than happy to see them play live again. I suspect the next time they tour, they'll be playing to much bigger crowds in far larger venues.

(I've been kind here. But I plan to review The Fray's debut album and be less kind about that, so thought it was important to achieve balance as opposed to come over as a total bitch. There's always next month.)

Samba in the Snowy Rain - The Guillemots

0 Discussions:

Post a Comment

<< Home