Saturday, December 25, 2010

i am the astronaut in the sky

The Top 10 Albums of 2010

7. Amy MacDonald - A Curious Thing (NP)

After her runaway success with her multi-million selling debut album This Is The Life, the young Scottish popstrel returned in 2010 with her second album A Curious Thing.

I had reservations that MacDonald was a bit of a one trick pony and that she would struggle to replicate the high quality songwriting of This Is The Life. I am delighted to report that I was completely wrong. Indeed, she has produced the perfect second album; retaining everything from This Is The Life that made it charming and engaging but having added additional layers of instrumentation.

MacDonald has an unbelievable knack of writing great, melodic pop tunes and here, with a much 'bigger' sound both on the album and in her live shows, she has never sounded better. She's clearly more confident as a performer and as a songwriter and this album is chock full of brilliant songs, all of which could have been chosen as singles. I particularly like the catchy, upbeat Spark, the anthemic An Ordinary Life and My Pretty Face (notwithstanding the fact that it features Paul Weller on piano).

Whilst it might not have sold by the lorryload (except in continental Europe where she is absolutely massive), A Curious Thing is a superb follow-up and another brilliant record from, let us not forget, a very young talent.

Listen to: Spark, My Only One

7. The National - High Violet (bedshaped)

I couldn't quite gel with The Boxer, The National's previous album. Although I have to say that I have since dipped back into it many times and am happy to report that it's a flippin' grand album. What a shame it took so long to grow on me, but, never-the-less, it's now a firm favourite of mine.

High Velvet
has been a much better fit for me and I could appreciate it's splendour and beauty much more instantly. Perhaps I knew what to expect, because these guys aren't so easy on the ear on first listen, and I wouldn't say they were anywhere near 'commercial' material, either. But that's just perfect for them. And it's always nice to have a band that grows over the years and through their releases, gaining critical praise and a growing fan-base, without necessarily scoring top 10 hit after top 10 hit or playing arena sized venues. Or indeed, both.

I'm not quite sure whether I prefer this album to their previous release. It's most definitely The National material; lavish production, wonderful harmonies, great song structure and lavish orchestration and the tell tale vocals of lead singer Matt Berninger, who sounds so fed up and like he's just about to give up on life. Even on the more up-tempo songs, I have visions on him sitting there in the recording studio; with a whiskey in one hand and a loaded gun in the other.

But don't let that put you off, because that's what these guys are all about. Creating and producing drama and almost self-destructive songs, without making you (as the listener) feel like finishing yourself off. The stories sound so real life, which adds to their yummy-ness and when you sit down and listen to the lyrics, you find yourself nodding, affirming and totally believing everything.

Musically, this album is top notch. There are some fantastic songs to be found buried beneath the rare less 'instant' songs. Lilly Faith is such an example. Beginning with a gentle intro, orchestration building up. Complimented with some lush strings and drums that pound along. And I love that strumming cello sound too. Afraid Of Everyone begins almost angelic. Lovely background harmonies swoop in and out through the song and add so much, it's gorgeousness just oozes. Interjecting, gumbling guitar provides the perfect finish to some fabulous ingredients.

Album closer Vanderlyle Crybaby Geeks is a perfect choice. Once again, luscious strings, wonderful orchestration and acoustic guitar take the listener to a gentle and fulfilling conclusion. And he doesn't actually sound so pissed off in this song. Wonderful!

It's not the most upbeat, or even uplifting album of the year, but it's a quality one, that's for sure. I'm happily reminded of my brief love affair with Blue Nile, but I think, at least I hope, this relationship with be a lot more long serving.

My must listen to track from this album has been difficult to choose, but after much deliberation and thought, I've gone for Bloodbuzz Ohio. Great drum patterns, some sparse background horns, wonderful orchestrations and gorgeously drenched with Matt's typically perfect sombre vocals. And those great chord changes build the song into something so familiar, you feel like this song is ten years old. Probably not the best track from the album, but my favourite.

Listen to: Bloodbuzz Ohio

7. Laura Marling - I Speak Because I Can (Swisslet)

Laura Marling recorded her debut, Alas, I Cannot Swim, when she was 18 years old. Although it was a wonderfully fully formed and accomplished record for someone of her tender years, it drew a large part of its charm from its lack of guile. Take Night Terror: are we really supposed to believe that this tiny, slip of a girl would fight anyone, nevermind a nightmare? Bless.

Marling had reached the ripe-old age of 20 years old by the time of I Speak Because I Can, and had already been the unwitting muse of a breakup record (the fantastic The First Days of Spring by Noah and the Whale) and perhaps also the inspiration behind one of the great success stories of the last 18 months (Sigh No More by Mumford and Sons). Was Marling going to be better known for the music she inspired from other people than for the music she produced herself?

In a word, no.

There’s no getting away from it: this is a folk album. Folk is fashionable at the moment, but for Marling it is no passing trend, but a way of addressing issues of love, sex, death, depression and heartbreak. With her lovelorn, heartbreakingly clear voice, she’s starting to be compared to artists of the calibre of Joni Mitchell and Nick Drake…. Prematurely, I would say (although remember that Drake only recorded three albums before he died), but another couple of albums like her last two and they won’t be far off the mark. She hasn’t produced a perfect album yet, and this certainly isn’t it, but she’s still so young and clearly still has so much more to offer. A wonderful album by a wonderful talent.

Listen to: Goodbye England (Covered in Snow)

1 Discussions:

Anonymous NP said...

I might have to listen to the National album. I absolutely loathed Boxer when I first heard it (in fact, I didn't even get to the end). However, when idly listening to iTunes at home the other day, I got half way through an album I didn't recognise. Of course it was Boxer and whilst I didn't love it, I certainly wasn't desperate to turn it off....

Interpol, mind? Nah.

4:35 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home