Monday, February 28, 2011

Album Review: Jessie J - Who You Are

Jessie J - Who You Are

Arguably the biggest thing in the UK music industry right now, recent Brits 'Critics Choice' winner Jessie J releases her debut album Who You Are this week.

Debut hit Do It Like A Dude hinted that the 22 year old was more likely to be the female Tine Tempah than the female Bruno Mars. However, I was surprised to find that Who You Are has a real pop sensibility running through it. However, notwithstanding the fact it is much poppier than I expected, I was hugely disappointed with this album.

Opening track and Uk #1 single Price Tag is a solid gold pop gem. Sadly, there is nothing on Who You Are that lives up to anything like that standard. It is mostly sub-Katy Perry pop schmuck and some of the mid-paced records are real album filler. L.O.V.E and Stand Up are instantly forgettable in a way that Rihanna releases seldom are.

The only time I was really engaged with this record was on the three acoustic bonus tracks at the end of the album. Stripped back versions of Price Tag, Do It Like A Dude and Who You Are demonstrate that all three are great pop tunes and that Jessie J is a competent performer. Disappointingly, the lazy, unoriginal production on the rest of the record manages to hide this fact which is a crying shame.

I can't help think that this is an opportunity that has been spectacularly missed. Jessie J could really have carved out a major niche as the British Pink or Katy Perry but instead Who You Are is another album of second rate pap. A huge shame.

1 Discussions:

Blogger bedshaped said...

I am hugely disappointed by this album. I think I got sucked into all the hype, which is unlike me, but after hearing "Do It Like A Dude", I was convinced this girl has something genuinely 'different' to offer.
Personally, I find "Price Tag" annoyingly kitch and far too sugary sweet pop for my tastes. Okies, it's a good song, but it ain't all that. And it's been horribly overplayed.
I actually think "Nobody's Perfect" is the best track on the album. It's a very clever song, lyrically and has some great hooks in it. Sadly though, it's just not enough, along with the other handful of good tracks, to save the album. Shame.

Now....Katy B's album....that's a whole different ball game!

9:48 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home