Tuesday, December 05, 2006

I Will Kill Again

Lying in the bath last night, I listened to Jarvis Cocker's solo album. I was never the world's biggest Pulp fan, but I really, really like this. His voice sounds fantastic and the album has a lovely mellow feeling about it. Clever lyrics are in abundance, and what's not to love in a song about having your phone stolen by fat children? Has our Jarvis gone and grown up? Maybe, but he's retained that playful edge that made Pulp a joy to listen to.

However. While I'm sure Bedshaped would rather this post was a serious review of the album, I'm sorry. It's not. I'm rather afraid my off-topic postings may lead to my ex-communication. It's a rant about one of my least favourite things. Hidden tracks. Why do these exist? Do people really think, wow, a secret track - now I really have my money's worth? I'm certain they don't.

Instead, hidden tracks pop up out of nowhere and scare you half to death.

Take last night. I was happily wallowing away, reading Elle magazine and listening to Jarvis. And then not listening to Jarvis, because the album had finished. So. Time to hoist myself from the murky depths. But I figured I'd give the old legs a shave first. Mid swipe, the mysterious secret track boomed into action. I literally jumped. So did the razor. And suddenly I'm lying in a bloodbath. Not good.

Please, top music people. Just add the extra track onto the CD. We'll still think it's good value for money and we'll be very happy. We just won't hold you responsible for heart attacks or three inch scars on our ankles.

Okay?

I Will Kill Again - Jarvis Cocker

3 Discussions:

Blogger Flash said...

I love "Fat children".
What a tune that is!

11:15 AM  
Blogger bedshaped said...

Ok, I've heard enough.
I'm getting the album.

Secret tracks were a good idea when they were exactly that.
Nowadays they even print the secret track on the covers. Where's the surprise in that!

Some hidden tracks can be real gems but it's annoying that they aren't just an 'extra unlisted track' and have to be 30 silent minutes after the end of the last track.

9:06 PM  
Blogger Cat said...

Flash, agreed - it's a fab album but that tune in particular stands out.

Bedshaped, the only hidden track I can think of that gets the Cat seal of approval is the one at the end of Alanis Morrissette's Jagged Little Pill album. That song is better than the rest of the album put together.

4:16 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home