Wednesday, December 06, 2006

really wanna start all over again


So, with a giant fanfare and a huge arena tour behind them, the Take That boys return with their first studio album in nine years. I have to admit that I had my doubts about this venture. Sure, head off and fill giant arenas by churning out your instantly recognisable back catalogue in front of all the people that saw you first time round, but make a new record?

*sucks breath through teeth*

Risky business, lads. Risky business.

Anyway, out of the ether came the fantastic "Patience" single, currently #1 in the UK charts for a second week. This album also made #1 and so, officially, Take That are firmly back on the musical map.

So what of the album? Well, it's a pretty decent effort. And yes, there is some surprise in my voice.

There are more guitars on this record than you'd imagine. Ironically, some of it (particularly "What You Believe In" with it's slide guitar solo) sounds like some of the earlier Robbie Williams solo output. In fact, that's probably the best description of the record I can give you. It is fundamentally "just" a pop record, touching on the always popular James Blunt/James Morrison catchy acoustic type of sound.

In fact, the whole thing is vaguely yet unspecifically derivative. The plodding "Shine" heads firmly into Scissor Sisters territory whereas "I'd Wait For Life" could almost *be* Sir Elton.

So, there is no record as good as "Patience" here, but, God love them, it's a decent pop album for the end of 2006. It's not pushing any boundaries, but I had worried that they'd embarrass themselves and undo their heroes welcome by throwing out some sub-standard nonsense, which this clearly isn't. Welcome back, lads.

1 Discussions:

Blogger bedshaped said...

I was never a big Take That fan.
All this reforming, touring and new material hasn't made me want to dig any deeper to be honest.
Ok, Gary can write a good song, but the band have never really been able to deliver any song well, in my opinion.
If "Patience" had been sung by Paulo Nutini or James Morrison, would it have even broken the top 20?
I don't think so.
I haven't listened to the album, so maybe I should give it a whril before I say anymore.

8:56 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home