Thursday, January 18, 2007

And the nominations are....

The Brit Awards 2007 are happening on Valentines day this year. Not only that, but somebody in their wisdom has decided to broadcast the event 'Live' on the TV (I would presume with a slight delay!).

Designated driver this year is in the guise of Russell Brand, he of Big Brother's Big Mouth and his (in my opinion) piss poor excuse for his own show. He could be a great host, who knows? One thing's for certain, he can't be any more embarassing than that fateful year with Sam Fox and Mick Fleetwood, huh!

Apparently, Russell is going to "Bring back the mayhem!".

Just for fun, the nominations follow below in category order. To play along, leave your predictions in the comments (obviously before the event on February 14th) and we can see just who's "In With The In Crowd" and who's "Left Outside Alone".

Please remember this is a British awards ceremony, so all nominations will be British Artists unless of course it's for an International Award. Also the winners are chosen (except where stated) by 'members of the music industry'....and I use that term very loosely.

And the nominations are....

Male Solo Artist :
James Morrison
Jarvis Cocker
Lemar
Paolo Nutini
Thom Yorke

Female Solo Artist :
Amy Winehouse
Corinne Bailey Rae
Jamelia
Lily Allen
Nerina Pallot

Group :
Arctic Monkeys
Kasabian
Muse
Razorlight
Snow Patrol

Album :
Amy Winehouse - Back To Black
Arctic Monkeys - Whatever People Say I am, That's What I'm Not
Lily Allen - Alright Still
Muse - Black Holes And Revelations
Snow Patrol - Eyes Open

Single : Filtered down to 5 nominations, winner chosen live on the night by viewers

Corinne Bailey Rae - Put Your Records On
The Feeling - Fill My Little World
James Morrison - You Give Me Something
Kooks - She Moves In Her Own Way
Leona Lewis - A Moment Like This
Lily Allen - Smile
Razorlight - America
Sandi Thom - I Wish I Was A Punk Rocker
Snow Patrol - Chasing Cars
Take That - Patience
Will Young - All Time Love

Breakthrough Act :Winner chosen by Radio 1 listeners

Corinne Bailey Rae
Fratellis
James Morrison
Kooks
Lily Allen

Live Act :Winner chosen by Radio 2 listeners

George Michael
Guillemots
Kasabian
Muse
Robbie Williams

International Male Solo Artist :
Beck
Bob Dylan
Damien Rice
Jack Johnson
Justin Timberlake

International Female Solo Artist :
Beyonce
Cat Power
Christina Aguilera
Nelly Furtado
Pink

Internation Group :
Flaming Lips
Gnarls Barkley
Killers
Red Hot Chilli Peppers
Scissor Sisters

International Album :
Bob Dylan - Modern Times
Gnarls Barkley - St Elsewhere
Justin Timberlake - Futuresex/Lovesounds
Killers - Sam's Town
Scissor Sisters - Ta Da

International Breakthrough Artist :Winner chosen by viewers of MTV

Gnarls Barkley
Orson
Raconteurs
Ray Lamontagne
Wolfmother

6 Discussions:

Blogger Cat said...

I reckon Brand will behave himself, it's really too good a gig to screw up. I'd love to see Cat Power win, she's a bit of a rogue entry, isn't she? If Leona Lewis gets a gong, I'll shoot myself. Much as I love the X Factor, I think the line should be drawn at entertainment and not cascaded into masquerading as proper music.

8:57 PM  
Blogger swisslet said...

Bonjour. Here are the votes from the Swiss Jury.

Male Solo Artist :

if there was any justice: Jarvis
likely winner: Morrison.

Female Solo Artist :

Interesting one this. I would like it to be Winehouse. I think it will be Rae or Lily Allen. Let's go for Allen. It'll get them in the papers when she says something silly.

Group :

This is an industry do, so it will ultimately be about record sales, so it'll be the monkeys or the patrol. Patrol, I reckon.

Album :

Snow Patrol or Muse. SP.

Single : Filtered down to 5 nominations, winner chosen live on the night by viewers

Leona Lewis, right? (or chasing cars)

Breakthrough Act :Winner chosen by Radio 1 listeners

Fratellis!

Live Act :Winner chosen by Radio 2 listeners

Muse

International Male Solo Artist :

Trousersnake

International Female Solo Artist :

Cat Power would be brilliant, but I reckon Nelly.

International Group :

Gnarls Barkley

International Album :

This isn't rocket science - the Killers are performing on the night.

International Breakthrough Artist :Winner chosen by viewers of MTV

I'd love this to be LaMontagne - his new album is sensational - but I think Gnarls Barkley.

I don't like him much, but I think Russell Brand is far too professional to let this go south. He'll be fine and it'll be a backslapping bash as it always is.

ST

9:56 PM  
Blogger LB said...

ahem. For what it is worth, I'll go for:

Male Solo Artist : Paolo Nutini (only that I think his album is better than James Morrison's)

Female Solo Artist : Lily Allen. I hope not, though.

Group : Even though it seems like an *awfully* long time ago, I'll go for the Arctic Monkeys.

Album : Snow Patrol. All day long.

Single : I'd like to see Take That win it, but I reckon it will be "Chasing Cars". British public sometimes do OK (the X Factor record lost last year to "Speed of Sound")

Breakthrough Act : the Kooks. One award for them and one for his hair.

Live Act : You'd say Muse, but I wonder what their Radio 2 listening base is like. I'll go for Robbie (yawn).

International Male Solo Artist : K-Fed not nominated? Oh. Justin, then.

International Female Solo Artist : Nelly Furtado.

International Group : Scissor Sisters

International Album : I reckon Gnarls might nip this one.

International Breakthrough Artist : Gnarls again.

Yawn. It's not that inspiring this, is it? No Keane, for a start.....

1:21 PM  
Blogger x said...

Cat Power for international female artist. Go Cat!

10:34 AM  
Blogger beth said...

No, those shortlists are just not whetting my appetite.

Apart from Guillemots everything seems so OLD. But it is the BRITS, so I suppose it's to be expected.

9:40 PM  
Blogger bedshaped said...

Come on beth, chloe and cat....have a go at the rest of them.

Here's my thoughts:

Male solo artist - I hope it's Jarvis Cocker, I think it will be Paolo Nutini.

Female solo artist - I hope it's Amy Winehouse and I think she'll win it too.

Group - I want it to be Snow Patrol, but I think Kasabian will get it.

Album - I'd like Snow Patrol to win this one too, but I think Arctic Monkeys will snatch it.

Single - I don't know what the final 5 nominations will be, but I'll go for Lily Allen's Smile as my preference. I think Corinne Bailey Rae will take it.

Breakthough act - I'd like Fratellis to take this one, but alas I'm suspecting Lily Allen will take it.

Live act - For me the choise is Muse, but I think Kasabian will take this one too.

International male solo - I'd love Damien Rice to get this. He'll probably go un-noticed again, so I think Justin Timberlake will take it.

International female solo - I think it would be brilliant if Cat Power took this award and deservedly so. However, it will probably be Nelly Furtado.

International group - I'd like The Killers to take this and I think I'll stick with them for actual winners too.

International album - I'd like to see Justin get some recognition for a fine album from him last year, but I think The Killers will take this one too.

International breakthrough artist - My choice goes with Ray Lamontagne. Just look at what the exposure did for Jack Johnson last year! I suspect that Orson may take it home though.

And that concludes the votes from the bedshaped jury.

10:57 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home