Sunday, January 21, 2007

I Luv U

Has there ever been a more shit title for a song than "I Luv U"? For anyone who's not been subjected to it yet, this is the pitiful title of The Ordinary Boys' new track. And has there ever been a more shit song, come to think of it?

Not so long ago, The Ordinary Boys were a credible little band. I've seen them live and they were fine. Unremarkable, but fine. I own their albums, and they too are fine. I don't listen to them often, but nor do I hide them at the foot of the stacks and hope no-one notices they are there.

And then came Celebrity Big Brother. And Chantelle. Closely followed by a relationship played out in the public arena, matched all the way by a relationship with the nation's media. OK magazine covered their wedding, for God's sake.

Suddenly, The Ordinary Boys are less credible. And producing pap like this with bastardised English in the title. They are this week taking part in a thing on Radio 1 where they will spend a day at a listener's school. So, not only no longer credible, but marketed towards kids. Is this really where the money is now? And are they so keen to make money they are happy to compromise their artistic integrity? Clearly, yes. Hell, why not just invite Hello magazine to do an "at home" - surely that would be worth more than churning out this drivel.

I wonder if Morrissey will ask for the name back?

I Luv U - The Ordinary Boys

5 Discussions:

Blogger Cat said...

Since posting this, the song has stalked me, both on the radio and in my own head. Lovely.

9:30 PM  
Blogger Sarah said...

...I agree - hideous - and an earworm I'd managed to clear out of my brain after its embarrassing appearance in my Friday contribution at ST's a few weeks ago. Clear out, that is, until I read this piece!
Thanks, Cat!

5:58 PM  
Blogger bedshaped said...

Now I like to be quite open minded about stuff, even if I don't like it but this is complete shite.
Preston can be forgiven because we all know he lost himself when he went into the Big Brother house. The rest of the band however, should be ashamed of themselves.
"Week in, week out" was a brilliant song, in fact the whole album was very listenable. To say they've gone downhill is an understatement.

10:37 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I like the song. Yes, ok its pretty cheesy, but you can hum to it. And you can see why they are doing it, valentines day coming up an' all.

6:56 PM  
Blogger bedshaped said...

Good point there anon. Being cheesy and hummable are essential for a good pop song. And true, it's a well timed pitch for the Valentines market.
Unfortunately neither of those save this from being a really awful song, in my opinion.

8:35 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home