Thursday, January 25, 2007

you'd be amazed at what you can achieve in a year



If you have heard The View's "Same Jeans" and thought "That's a great little catchy pop record, I might buy that album", be warned. It is not terribly representative of the rest of their new album, out this week.

It's a bit like Nelly Furtado releasing "Maneater" and sticking it on a CD otherwise full of Polish folk music.

The three singles here are excellent pieces of guitar pop. "Superstar Tradesmen" and "Wasted Little DJ's" chug along merrily and with "Same Jeans" currently sitting pretty in the top 3 the View can't be accused of not being a great singles band.

The rest of the album though is therefore somewhat of a disappointment. Most of it is fuzzy, loud and not terribly catchy ("Coming Down" reminds me in places of "Ace of Spades") and in parts they remind me of those guitar bands that I don't really like - the Zutons, for example. It's not at all original (not always a bad thing, of course) but it means the whole thing is, well, dull.

It's a shame, as I was really expecting big things of this lot. If you like what you have heard you may be as well downloading the singles for 79p each and not buying the album. There are a couple of half decent tunes on it, but even they are miles away from being anywhere near the standard of the singles. It may be a grower, I don't know, but on the first couple of listens it's the least inspiring debut album I have heard in a little while. Shame.

5 Discussions:

Blogger Cat said...

RH described it as an album of speeded up Libertines B-sides. I'm not so sure about that, but I'm also disappointed. I do really like Face for Radio though.

1:32 PM  
Blogger swisslet said...

Well, I've just given it a listen, and I have to say that I quite like it. It doesn't remind me of either the Libertines or the Zutons. The band they most call to mind (and it's a lot to do with the very regionally placeable accent, but also to do with the jauntiness) is the Sensational Alex Harvey Band - that's certainly no bad thing.

The songs that have jumped out at me on a single play are "Superstar Tradesman", "Same Jeans" and "Dance into the Night".

It's early days, but (as Louis Walsh would say), I like it.

ST

2:52 PM  
Blogger swisslet said...

..just listening to "Streetlights" and I can also hear some of The Las in there.

ST

(incidentally, of this week's releases, The Good, The Bad & The Queen is superb. I'll do a review)

3:02 PM  
Blogger LB said...

In the main, ST, you've picked the singles. Like I was saying.....

9:00 PM  
Blogger swisslet said...

yeah, but if you'd listened, you'd see I've said I like the whole thing. I also deliberately haven't picked out the one song I knew coming in.

I like it. I know you don't. But I quite like all of it.

ST

11:30 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home